Customs protection of the Belarusian part of the western border of the USSR in 1944 – early 1950s
The restoration of the customs guards on the Belarusian part of the state border of the USSR in the period from 1944 till the first half of the 1950s is analysed in the article. The author considers the main problems that Soviet policy makers had to deal with to create an efficient customs system: legal, organizational, personnel, material and technical. Special attention is paid to the organisation of counteraction to different types of smuggling in the post-war period. It is concluded that a broad and systematic set of measures aimed at strengthening the customs service allowed to control successfully the movement of goods across the border and to fight against smuggling in the early 1950s.
- Sayapin V. Pyat’ vekov Grodnenskoi tamozhennoi sluzhby [Five centuries of Grodno customs service]. Grodno: Grodnenskaya tipografiya; 2003. 365 p. Russian.
- Dubik II, Dyrman YuN, Ostroga VA, Patara VM, Santarovich VM. Osnovy tamozhennoi sluzhby [Bases of customs service]. Minsk: Beltamozhservice; 2011. 296 р. Russian.
- Davydik VV, Lukashevich AM, Ostroga VA. Istoriya pogranichnoi sluzhby Belarusi [History of the Border Service of Belarus]. Minsk: Informatsionno-vychislitel’nyi tsentr Ministerstva finansov Respubliki Belarus’; 2011. 437 р. Russian.
- Gorbatenko VP. Krasnoznamennaya pogranichnaya… (Iz boevoi letopisi Krasnoznamennoi pogranichnoi gruppy im. F. E. Dzerzhinskogo) [Red Banner Border... (From the battle chronicle of the Krasnoznamennaya Frontier Group named after F. E. Dzerzhinsky)]. Brest: [publisher unknown]; 1998. 76 р. Russian.
- Sayapin V. Tamozhennaya sluzhba. V 2 knigakh. Kniga 2: Bor’ba s kontrabandoi [Customs service. Fight against smuggling]. Grodno: Grodnenskaya tipografiya; 2005. 583 p. Russian.
- Kislovskіi Yu. Istoriya tamozhennogo dela i tamozhennoi politiki Rossii [History of customs and customs policy of Russia]. Moscow: Rusina-press; 2004. 592 р. Russian.
- Suvorov AM. Dovereno stranoi [Trusted by the country]. Brest: Polygraphika; 2014. 191 p. Russian.
Copyright (c) 2019 Journal of the Belarusian State University. International Relations
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
The authors who are published in this journal agree to the following:
- The authors retain copyright on the work and provide the journal with the right of first publication of the work on condition of license Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial. 4.0 International (CC BY-NC 4.0).
- The authors retain the right to enter into certain contractual agreements relating to the non-exclusive distribution of the published version of the work (e.g. post it on the institutional repository, publication in the book), with the reference to its original publication in this journal.
- The authors have the right to post their work on the Internet (e.g. on the institutional store or personal website) prior to and during the review process, conducted by the journal, as this may lead to a productive discussion and a large number of references to this work. (See The Effect of Open Access.)