United Nations Security Council and COVID-19
The article provides an overview of the United Nations Security Council activities in confronting infectious diseases, analysing the reasons for its inaction vis-à-vis the COVID-19 pandemic. The following topics are addressed: geopolitical circumstances of the COVID-19 outbreak, the UN Security Council experiences in countering the infectious diseases’ challenges, particularities, and special features of the UN Security Council position vis-à-vis the coronavirus pandemic.
- Cohen J. U. N. Security Council passes historic resolution to confront Ebola [Internet; cited 2020 May 15]. Available from: https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2014/09/un-security-council-passes-historic-resolution-confront-ebola.
- Enemark Ch. Ebola, disease-control, and the Security Council: from securitisation to securing circulation. Journal of Global Security Studies. 2017;2(2):137–149. DOI: 10.1093/jogss/ogw030.
- Svicevic M. COVID-19 as a threat to international peace and security: what place for the UN Security Council? [Internet; cited 2020 June 15]. Available from: https://www.ejiltalk.org/covid-19-as-a-therat-to-international-peace-and-security-what-place-for-the-un-security-council/.
- Mukherjee T. The United Nations Security Council and securitisation of COVID-19 [Internet; cited 2020 June 14]. Available from: https://www.orfonline.org/expert-speak/the-united-nations-security-council-and-securitization-of-covid19-64079/.
- Mathur S. A legal analysis of the United Nationals response to Covid-19: how the Security Council can still help [Internet; cited 2020 June 14]. Available from: https://moderndiplomacy.eu/2020/06/03/a-legal-analysis-of-the-united-nationsresponse-to-covid-19-how-the-security-council-can-still-help/.
- Fillion S. France’s printemps Europeen on the Security Cuncil [Internet; cited 2020 June 16]. Available from: https:// www.passblue.com/2020/06/01/frances-printemps-europeen-on-the-security-council/.
Copyright (c) 2020 Journal of the Belarusian State University. International Relations
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
The authors who are published in this journal agree to the following:
- The authors retain copyright on the work and provide the journal with the right of first publication of the work on condition of license Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial. 4.0 International (CC BY-NC 4.0).
- The authors retain the right to enter into certain contractual agreements relating to the non-exclusive distribution of the published version of the work (e.g. post it on the institutional repository, publication in the book), with the reference to its original publication in this journal.
- The authors have the right to post their work on the Internet (e.g. on the institutional store or personal website) prior to and during the review process, conducted by the journal, as this may lead to a productive discussion and a large number of references to this work. (See The Effect of Open Access.)